The Christmas and New Year break is over and many are back at work. But it’s not long until the next holiday in the calendar – January 26.
January 26 is a day of both pride and pain: there’s so much to celebrate about Australia – but for many, “Australia Day” is a difficult day. If you’re confused about how your church should respond to #AustraliaDay, you’re not alone.
Here’s a few ways to help sort through the confusion and acknowledge the day:
1. EXPLORE and SHARE the #prideandpain timeline which includes 7 Facts you might not know about January 26
2. WATCH and SHOW the #prideandpain video (47secs) during a service. It explains the timeline and helps Australians understand what January 26 means for many Indigenous people.
Download video here: https://vimeo.com/250725456
3. START THE CONVERSATION with these useful Church Resources put together by Australians Together:
– Sharing Our Story – A four-episode video series for small groups
– Sharing Our Story Leader’s Guide which includes group session devotionals, reflection, discussion activities, useful facts and links to help your church group get the most out of the series https://australianstogether.org.au/churches/resources/sharing-our-story-leaders-guide/
– Four Introductory sermons with a single purpose and message – to help churches understand Indigenous injustice, and to explore why Christians in Australia should care. Each sermon takes a slightly different approach to this message, giving you the option to choose the message that best suits your congregation.
4: ATTEND a #ChangeTheHeart Prayer Service in Melbourne:
Friday, Jan 18 at 07:00 PM
Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 09:30 AM
Bendigo @ Long Gully
Thursday, Jan 24 at 06:00 PM
Mornington Peninsula @ Fisherman’s Beach
Thursday, Jan 24 @ 07:30 PM