The heart of Afghanistan is breaking. And so are many of ours across Australia. Daily, we see what desperation looks like as families flee their homes or struggle to protect their children. Daily, we read how fear steals even the basics in life—in only a matter of days.
Decades of a refugee crisis have resulted in nearly six million Afghans forcibly displaced from their homes. The Taliban’s recent takeover of the government has severely compounded the crisis, forcing hundreds of thousands to flee from their homes and tens of thousands in need of urgent humanitarian assistance. Please join us in taking action for Afghanistan today!
Pray: Join us in praying for families in Afghanistan, global leaders and for light to shine in the darkness. Download prayer points here.
Advocate for Afghan refugees by contacting your local MP. You can find their details here. Advocate that Australia:
– Offer additional refugee resettlement places for Afghan refugees.
– Immediately increase Australian aid to the region .
– Extend permanent protection to Afghans on temporary protection visas.
Involve your church: Download Church Resources here
– Explore the theological foundations to offer welcome to people who are not safe.
– Explain actions that church members can take, and provide a space for these.
– Provide a space for anyone interested in advocacy to meet up and discuss ways to take action.
– Find ways to support the Afghan community in your area, many of whom came to Australia to find safety and freedom from the Taliban. Some may be concerned for family and friends in Afghanistan, or be at risk of being sent back to Afghanistan in the future as they are on a SHEV or TPV visa.
Give to Baptist World Aid’s Afghanistan Crisis Appeal. Christian partners in Kabul right now are hurrying to respond to Afghanistan’s displaced families. And they need the support of Australian Baptists. Please give generously today.