2021 has seen 10 emerging leaders from 8 churches participate in the EMERGE Apprenticeship Pathway and explore what it means to lead self, lead others, lead ministries and live and lead missionally. The emerging leaders are each serving in a leadership role in their local church and as a cohort have met monthly with an additional individual coaching session between meetings.
At the last emerge meeting for the year Tim Costello presented a session on living and leading missionally. He shared 5 marks of mission that has been foundational in his life and ministry as he seeks to submit to the authority of Jesus:
- To proclaim the Good News of the Kingdom – Evangelism
- To teach, baptise and nurture new believers – Teaching/Discipling
- To respond to human need by loving service – Compassion
- To transform unjust structures of society, to challenge violence of every kind and pursue peace and reconciliation – Justice
- To strive to safeguard the integrity of creation, and sustain and renew the life of the earth – Creation Care
The Emerge participants then had the privilege of asking Tim questions about his life and his thoughts on a christian response to current issues such as gambling, refugees, vaccination challenges, pandemic laws and religious freedom. Tim reminded the group that missional initiatives often flow out of engaging with people that we encounter day by day, it is about proximity and incarnation.
In 2022 EMERGE is offering 3 tracks for emerging leaders. Each of these is facilitated by Rev Dr Bill Brown and Kimberly Smith. The details of these can be found at https://www.buv.com.au/events/emerge/ or by contacting Bill Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0407821784.