In the Baptist Union of Victoria, ordination celebrates the recognition that a pastoral leader is called by God, gifted and prepared to be recognised as a spiritual leader in church and society.
Such a calling is seen as a sacred trust, privilege and responsibility, and much prayer, discernment and effort is expended to ensure that the church leader, their local church community and the wider body of the Baptist Union of Victoria are all involved in discerning the person’s call, character and capacity during formation and in readiness for ordination.
There are three phases of learning and formation for candidates and ordained leaders:
- Completion of a degree in Ministry or Theology (Whitley College is a key and respected partner with the BUV) in this process of training.
- Undertaking and completing the Formation Process which focuses on Spirituality, Practical Theology, Leadership and Mission.
- Continuing Accreditation.
PROCESS OF DISCERNMENT FOR ORDINATION
If you wish to begin the process of discernment for Ordination, please download and complete the 2022 Expression of Interest Form and email to
firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 August 2021.
Should you have any questions or would like to arrange a meeting with Rev. Debbie Campbell, Head of Ordination, please email
email@example.com. For more information regarding the BUV’s Ordination process, please click on link below.
On completion of an ordination candidate’s training and formation, the Baptist Union of Victoria, on behalf of the Union of churches, conducts a service of ordination. This service celebrates, with ordination candidates, the completion of their formal training and formation for accreditation and ordination with the BUV. Most importantly, ordinands are set apart and ordained to the ministry of pastoral leadership. Members of each ordinand’s family and church, and representatives from the BUV, Whitley College and invited guests, gather to mark this significant occasion.
Congratulations to our 2020 ordinands:
- Robyn Song – Bentleigh & Korean Baptist Church
- Kathryn Jensen – Mill Park Baptist Church
- Christine Wanstall – BUV Health & Capacity Building Team (and Encounter Baptist Church)