EMERGE is a commitment of the BUV to resource an intentional leadership development pathway for emerging leaders, in partnership with local churches or agencies.
‘Emerging’ is inclusive of, but not exclusive to, the younger demographic.
In 2021 there will be three tracks. Each track aims to assist participants to take the next step in their leadership development. Details of the tracks are outlined below but in summary:
- Track 1 – a year-long Apprenticeship Pathway for people 18-35 who are actively serving in church or community
- Track 2 – Next Steps, is for any leader or aspiring leader, whatever age, to take a further step in leadership and it is also a great opportunity for ministry leadership teams to access some training and equipping and reflect on it together.
- Track 3 – Leader Retreats, is geared towards the next generation of key staff leaders.
Each track is facilitated by Kimberly Smith and Bill Brown, along with other members of the BUV Support Hub and with occasional input from a range of other experienced missional leaders. Kimberly is the BUV Generations and Emerging Leaders Pastor. Prior to this, she was Associate Pastor (Generations and Church Life) with Werribee Baptist, a role she enjoyed and flourished in for over 14 years. Bill is a BUV Pastoral Coach working primarily with emerging leaders and Senior Pastors of the larger churches. Prior to this, he had been both a Youth Pastor for 10 years and the Senior Pastor for almost 33 years. Kimberly and Bill each have a teaching background.
Testimonies from previous participants
Check out this interview with Jordan Stoyanoff & participants from Kilsyth South speaking about their 2020 experience.
A testimony about EMERGE Apprenticeship Pathway by Tom Black, intern in 2020 at Kew Baptist.
TRACK 1 – APPRENTICESHIP PATHWAY
An intentional leadership development pathway for emerging leaders, in partnership with local churches or agencies.
Who is an emerging leader?
This track is aimed at those under 35, actively leading/serving in a church or community, affirmed by others to have leadership potential and/or is keen to develop their leadership capacity.
Participants commit to …
- A 1-year pathway from Feb to Dec.
- An initial overnight retreat (Feb) and monthly gatherings for input, encouragement, accountability, and peer mentoring.
- A curriculum that includes modules and reading about leading self, leading others, leading organizations/initiatives and leading and living missionally.
- Actively serving in a leadership role in church or community.
- Meeting monthly with leadership companion/coach.
- $330 +booking fee paid by participant and/or sponsoring church/organization.
- Purchase of books and resources
- Registration for Global Leadership Summit
- Retreat -Feb 21(late afternoon)/Feb 22
- Gatherings – Mar 22, Apr 19, May 17, Jun 21, July 19, Aug 16, Sep 20, Oct 18, Nov 15, Dec 13
- Global Leadership Summit (October – to be confirmed)
Application Forms are available here
Applications close on January 31, 2021. Applicants will be interviewed, and references sought before acceptance into pathway.
TRACK 2 – NEXT STEPS IN LEADERSHIP
Resource/training experiences for leaders, specifically aimed at …
- Partnering with churches, & clusters of churches, to value and prioritize leadership development.
- Resourcing leaders in local churches to take a next step in the development of their character and leadership skills.
Leaders/aspiring leaders participate in leadership development evenings either via Zoom or in person. If in person, the evening includes a light meal.
- $15 per person/per night if in person.
- $0 if via Zoom
Scheduling & Themes
- Leadership Companions (Part 1): Workshop to equip those who walk with emerging leaders – encouraging, praying, challenging, coaching (Feb 9)
- Emotional Intelligence: Understanding yourself and relating to others (March 9)
- Conflict Resolution: crucial conversations and great growth opportunities (April 13)
- Leadership Companions (Pt 2): Workshop to equip those who walk with emerging leaders – praying, encouraging, challenging, coaching (May 11)
- Living and Leading Missionally (June 8)
- Building Resilience: Leading in a crisis and maximizing crucible moments (August 10)
- Growing as a Communicator (September 14)
- Mobilizing Volunteers and Building Teams (Oct 12)
Registration for Leadership Companions (Part 1) is now open please click here to register. This event will be held via ZOOM.
Registrations for the remaining events will open in early 2021
TRACK 3 – LEADER RETREATS
Three Intensive Leadership Development Retreats (over 2 days & 1 night) specifically designed for the next generation of key staff leaders. Each is a stand-alone retreat.
Scheduling & Themes:
- Developing as an authentic godly emotionally intelligent leader (April 27-28)
- Exegeting the neighbourhood, contextualising and communicating the good news, engaging outside the ‘church bubble’, curating a discipleship culture (August 23-24)
- Growing relationally and growing key, accountable, and life-giving relationships (October 25-26)