Today we focus on justice and advocacy for Refugees and Asylum Seekers.
According to the UNHCR Global Trends Report, at the end of 2022, 108.4 million people have been forcibly displaced from their homeland due to persecution, conflict, violence, human rights violations or events serious distrubing public order, and worldwide, there are over 35.3 million refugees. During this week, let us pray that as God’s people we can continue to advocate for those seeking our assistance by speaking on their behalf as well as providing practical help.
- Read stories of the BUV Refugee Airfare and Car Loan Scheme
- Read the stories of how Baptcare assists asylum seekers through their Houses of Hope programme and consider partnering with them by providing housing, funds or volunteers
- Read the story of Baptist Pastor Tri Nguyen’s journey as a former refugee
- Join the #TimeForAHome campaign to call the government to release refugees in detention and by sending a letter to your local MP
- Advocate for the Myanmar Campaign
- Pray and consider ways that you or your church can welcome and assist asylum seekers and refugees in your community – there is an example below from Brunswick Baptist Church
- Share what you have with people seeking asylum – your car, your home, meals, clothing, furniture. These are all the practical outworking of a ministry of enfolding and belonging. See 21 things you can do to support people seeking asylum
- Write to your local MP about increasing the number of visas under the Special Humanitarian Program back to 18750 and to establish a timetabled plan to raise the number to 27,000-30,000 annually – see ABM’s Justice21 report for more detail – this is especially relevant with the recent events in Myanmar and Afghanistan
- If you want to delve further into advocacy for this topic, check out the What We’re Asking section for this theme in the Justice 2021
- Read these stories from National Refugee Week Love Makes a Way
- Sharing Stories Together, with the Holy Transfiguration Monastery, Werribee Karen Baptist Church, Earthen Vessels Church, Cloverdale Baptist Church.
- Baptcare’s House of Hope
- Ps Thang En Hen’s story
- A Brighter Future – Nay’s Story